Skip to main content

Givnology Wellness Arts
May you find yourself in the world…and may you enjoy the company!
Avocado

Considered to be an almost complete food – so much so that in certain parts of the world babies are weaned using mashed avocado. Native to Central America and has been cultivated for thousands of years, they are rich in potassium and vitamin A. Avocado is also used traditionally to heal skin problems. The pulp is also believed to be both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

Benefits:

1. Avocado has been used traditionally to help people with sexual problems.

2. Great antioxidant and can be used for skin disorders

3. Avocado will aid healing for people suffering from digestive and circulatory problems

4. Another benefit of avocado for the skin where avocado paste can be applied to rashes and rough skin to make it smoother.

5. The brighter the fruit, the more beta-carotene (the substance that helps to prevent cancer) your avocado contains.

The use :

1. The flesh of a ripe avocado soothes sunburnt skin. Just cut the fruit in half and rub it gently over the affected areas.

2. Eat an avocado everyday if you’re recuperating from sickness and are trying to regain your strength.

Tips:

1. Select heavy, unblemished fruit. Most market will sell unripe and hard avocados. So after you bought one, allow it to ripe between 3 to 6 days.

2. If avocado yield slightly to gentle pressure, it’s ready to be eaten

3. If you need to speed up the ripening process, place avocados in a paper bag with apple or banana. Never put avocado in a fridge since it will make the ripening process significantly slower.

http://www.oohoi.com/natural%20remedy/everyday_food/avocado.htm

Attachments

Images (1)
  • avocado
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you for sharing this information.
I love avocados. I did not know it was beneficial for so many things.

Avocados contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that may help to lower cholesterol. In one study of people with moderately high cholesterol levels, individuals who ate a diet high in avocados showed clear health improvements. After seven days on the diet that included avocados, they had significant decreases in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, along with an 11% increase in health promoting HDL cholesterol.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5#healthbenefits

Sue Cat Cat2
Last edited by Sue 1
quote:
Originally posted by dear Inda:
3. If you need to speed up the ripening process, place avocados in a paper bag with apple or banana. Never put avocado in a fridge since it will make the ripening process significantly slower.

Learn something every day!

My mom was always growing these things...

I guess she was right! he he.. Bounce

Have the heart of a gypsy, and the dedication of a soldier -Beethoven in Beethoven Lives Upstairs

I'd better use this Haas Avocado which was the model for this photo. I have some fresh salsa.

Can we do sunflower seeds next? There is another miracle food, high in vitamin E, and also selenium.

The bulk number for them where I shop is 2523 which was the end of my old nine digit zip. That reminds me, I will check on mail for someone I know next time I cross the lake.

In Santa Barbara when I lived there years ago, people were always giving us free avocados. I liked Santa Barbara for that alone.

If you throw a pumpkin in the air and let it drop it comes down squash.

If you know what you're doing with an avocado it can come out guacamole!

Ay! Carrumba!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Ah,-Avocado
Thank you everyone for your replies.
Your point about sunflower seeds is a good one yogionefromobie. We will soon have a post about that.
Why don't you start a post on that topic? You probably know a lot about the benefit of those seeds.

More on the avocado:

A whole medium avocado contains approximately 25% of the recommended daily amount of saturated fat. Avocados also have 60% more potassium than bananas. They are also rich in B vitamins, as well as vitamin E and K[citation
Steven Pratt, MD, who is also on staff at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, California, wrote, in 2006 that Avocados may reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, since the reduced cholesterol and increased blood circulation not only helps to lower blood pressure but also improves blood flow to the brain, which is said to promote brain health, as hypertension is considered a risk factor for the decline in cognitive abilities.

I love avocados. Thank you for the post.

yoko

Attachments

Images (1)
  • avocado

Add Reply

Content may be subject to copyright. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
"..for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research.."

If you wish to contact us or join, Please go to our E-Learning site and fill out the contact us form!

Follow Givnology on Twitter

books
Click to see our books

Submit Site - Web Site Promotion Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free! Search Engine Submission and Internet Marketing Search Engine Submission & Optimization
Put Site Submit link here Put Site Submit link here LAUNCH FREE and FAST Search Engine SubmissionLiving Well Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Google
WWW Givnology

Link copied to your clipboard.